04 July 2007

to be (to exist) is olna (revisited)

olna = be (verb "to be/to exist" - to be - infinitive) (some things Google found for "olna": an uncommon term: RFA Olna (A123) was a fast fleet tanker of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary; "Olna Gazur" means "The People's Gathering Place" in Kalmyk which is a language spoken in Western China and Western Mongolia; a feminine first name; Olna Firth is a fjord in Shetland in Scotland; user name)

Word derivation for "to be/to exist":
Basque = izan, Finnish = olla
Miresua = olna

My previous word for the verb "to be" was "alon". I liked that word, nothing against it, but further thought made me realize that it would be less confusing for me (and probably anyone else) if I started conjugations of the same verb with the same letter, like Finnish does. (The letter "a" wasn't present in all tenses.) Hence each conjugation of this verb will start with "o" from the Finnish word. Basque doesn't start conjugations of the verb with the same letter, but with a letter that is connected with the pronouns. Given that my pronouns are alphabetic mixtures of Basque and Finnish, it would be hard for me to follow Basque on this issue. Besides, I think I'll have irregular enough verbs as it is!

This Miresua conlang word has been changed. The word for the verb "to be/to exist" is now "ozal".

No comments: