10 January 2010

violet is tovire (revisited)

tovire = violet (or purple) (color) (adjective) (some things Google found for "tovire": an uncommon to rare term; user names; a rare last name; there are places named similar La Tovière near the French ski resort of Tignes)

Word derivation for "violet" or "purple":
Basque = more, Finnish = violetti
Miresua = tovire

My previous Miresua conlang word for violet (purple) was tolire. I decided to change the word to use the more uncommon letter V.

The Basque and Finnish words I'm using seem to be the most common words specifically for this color. The Basque word ubel can mean violet or purple, but it also means gray and somber. I also found the obviously borrowed words purpura in Basque and puurppura in Finnish.

This Miresua conlang word has been changed. The word for violet is now voreti.

2 comments:

Crazyhorse said...

I had a Finn friend through email correspondence,,I guess this one can be a great help to me!

Mariska said...

I show Finnish words here, but not much grammar. Your Finn friend might be confounded at what I'm doing with his language ;)