02 August 2014

ten is hamen (revisited)

hamen = ten (number) (adjective) (some things Google found for "hamen": an uncommon term; Juan van der Hamen was 17th century Spanish painter; name of a Norwegian cargo ship which became derelict; an unusual last name; an rare to unusual masculine first name; in German a type of fishing net; in Hindi forms of the first person plural pronoun; name of places in Belgium and Montana)

Word derivation for "ten"
Basque = hamar, Finnish = kymmenen
Miresua = hamen

Yes, I know that I just revised the word for ten this June. My previous Miresua conlang word for ten was kymar. There was nothing truly wrong with that word. But I'm revising the word for ten again because I think it'll help me make a word for eleven.

The word ten occurs five times in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
"What a curious feeling!" said Alice; "I must be shutting up like a telescope."

And so it was indeed: she was now only ten inches high, and her face brightened up at the thought that she was now the right size for going through the little door into that lovely garden.

No comments: