22 October 2014

beach is hiedarratz (revisited)

hiedarratz = beach (noun) (some things Google found for "hiedarratz": an unique term; did not match any documents)

Word derivation for "beach" :
Basque = hondartza (sand + suffix meaning large quantity)
Finnish = hiekkaranta (sand + shore) or ranta
Miresua = hiedarratz (sand + edge or border)

My previous Miresua conlang word for beach was heidaratz. I'm changing this compound word because, in the previous post, I changed the word for sand to hiedar. The second half of the Miresua word for beach, ratz, which means edge or border, is a valid combination of the Basque word ertz and the Finnish word reuna.

I couldn't find the word beach in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I found an occurrence in Through the Looking-glass.
"O Oysters, come and walk with us!"
The Walrus did beseech.
"A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk,
Along the briny beach..."

No comments: