20 November 2014

rain is ude (revisited)

ude = rain (noun) (some things Goggle found for "ude": a very common term: UDE is an acronym for The Upper Deck Company which produces trading cards; UDE is an acronym for Unix Desktop Environment; in weapons UDE is an acronym for the color Urban Dark Earth; an unusual to uncommon last name; an unusual first name; means out in Danish; form of the Latin adjective udus which means wet, moist; in Japanese (romaji) ude means arm; Ulan-Ude is the capital of Buryatia, Russia; name of places in Nigeria and Pakistan)

Word derivation for "rain" :
Basque = euri, Finnish = sade
Miresua = ude

My previous Miresua conlang word for rain was dure, which was an alphabetic scramble. The new word is one letter shorter than the Basque and the Finnish words, but that's allowable under my rules.

This word was supposed to be posted on the 18th, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Oops.

I didn't find the word rain in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I found it in Through the Looking-glass.
"I see you're admiring my little box." the Knight said in a friendly tone. "It's my own invention -- to keep clothes and sandwiches in. You see I carry it upside-down, so that the rain can't get in."

"But the things can get OUT," Alice gently remarked. "Do you know the lid's open?"

No comments: