30 March 2010

ugly is irutsa (revisited)

irutsairutsa = ugly (adjective) (some things Google found for "irutsa": a rare term; some sort of East African tribal ceremony connected with married life; user names)

Word derivation for "ugly" :
Basque = itsusi, Finnish = ruma
Miresua = irutsa

My previous Miresua conlang word for "ugly" was "rutsa". I added the letter I, which there are two of in the Basque word. My change makes this word more unusual, hence less likely to be anyone's name. Also I get a 6-letter word, which is good. I tend to have too many 5-letter words.

My definition of "irutsa" as "ugly" in Miresua is not intended to be a comment on anyone or anything named irutsa. I mean no disrespect. I'm merely defining a adjective in my made-up conlang language, and even fantasy languages need some unflattering words.

No comments: