14 January 2009

feather is hülna (revisited)

hülna = feather (noun) (some things Google found for "hulna": an uncommon to rare term; a last name; users names; supposedly the old name of a city in India where there were relics of the apostle Thomas)

Word derivation for "feather":
Basque = luma, Finnish = höyhen
Miresua = hülna

My previous Miresua conlang word for "feather" was "hulyna".

The ü is my addition to Miresua, it's not a letter from either the Basque or Finnish words. As ü appears in a Basque dialect and in Estonian, which is a language close to Finnish, it's a fairly reasonable addition.

In Finnish y is pronounced like ü. Adding ü and keeping y (but pronouncing it as in the English word hit) allows Miresua more vowels.

I've previously allowed myself to make a ü out of two Finnish y. Now I'm letting a Finnish y plus u make a ü. So for this word I'm not merely moving the umlaut off the ö.

This Miresua conlang word has been changed. I'm no longer allowing ü. The word for feather is now luhön.

No comments: