10 November 2011

duck is ante (revisited)

anteante = duck (noun) (some things Google found for "ante": a very common term; in poker and other games the contribution made by all players to the pot before dealing the cards; a last name; a Croatian form of the masculine first name Anthony; "Ante Up" is a song by hip hop duo M.O.P.; means before in Latin; means ago in Interlingua; means "doors (of furniture), shutters (of windows)" in Italian; means "in front of" in Spanish; name of places in Serbia, Mali, France and Virginia)

Word derivation for "duck" :
Basque = ahate, Finnish = ankka
Miresua = ante

This is the word for the bird that says quack, not a verb.

My previous Miresua conlang word for duck was aheka. My new word is shorter, simpler, and it doesn't end in a. I'm trying to lessen the number of nouns ending in a. I'll have enough of them with my Basque inspired suffix of -a for the definite article. In Miresua, "the duck" will become "antea".

No comments: