22 May 2012

olive is oilva

oilva = olive (noun) (some things Google found for "oilva": a uncommon term; a rare feminine first name; a rare last name; a misspelling of more common names Olivia and Oliva; user names; name of a World of Warcraft gaming character; similar Olvi is a Finnish brewery and soft drinks company)

Word derivation for "olive" :
Basque = oliba, Finnish = oliivi
Miresua = oilva

Although the first three letters of both the Basque and the Finnish words are OLI, I decided not to start my Miresua word that way. I mixed the letters a bit to OIL. Made me think of olive oil. I initially considered making this word oliva, but I found out that that is the word for olive in a bunch of languages, including the root of many those languages, Latin.

This Miresua conlang word has been changed. The word for olive is now olibi.

No comments: