26 February 2008

cat is kitsa (revisited)

kitsa = cat (animal) (noun) (some things Google found for "kitsa": an uncommon term; user names; a last name; a feminine first name that can be Greek; name of several cats (which was an odd result but a good sign for my word definition); KITSA is the Kangan Batman TAFE Student Association in Australia; gaming character name; places in Russia and Estonia)

Word derivation for "cat":
Basque = katu, Finnish = kissa
Miresua = kitsa

My previous Miresua word for cat, kisu, wasn't a particularly good mix of the Basque and Finnish words, and beside it means "lime, gypsum, plaster" in Basque. I considered using "kita" but that word means "jaws" in Finnish, which made me laugh.

By the way, my word for "cat" in Lhaesine, my other conlang, is mehe. The Lhaesine word for cat seems close to meow, while the Miresua word seems close to kitten.

This Miresua conlang word was changed to katsi, then changed back to kitsa.

No comments: