10 July 2011

west is mensi (revisited)

mensimensi = west (noun) (some things Google found for "mensi": a very common term; an uncommon last name; nickname of vocalist of English punk rock band Angelic Upstarts; Mensi's Dairy Bar in Collierville, Tennessee; means sister in Lojban which is a logical constructed language; similar word menší means smaller, less in Czech and Slovak; name of a city in Indonesia)

Word derivation for "west" :
Basque = mendebalde, Finnish = länsi
Miresua = mensi

I've completely redone this word. My previous Miresua conlang word for west was belsenä.

Basque has a 10-letter word for west, which surprised me earlier. But I've come to learn that in Basque alde means area, region. The Basque suffix -alde indicates proximity, nearness. As this is a conlang and I make the rules, I decided to dismiss the "alde" portion of the word, for the noun west anyway. For the word western, I think I'll put it back into the mix.

No comments: