22 May 2013

sister is aizar (revisited)

aizar = sister (noun) (some things Google found for "aizar": an uncommon term: Aizar Schools in Pakistan; an unusual masculine first name; a rare last name; name of several gaming characters; Aizar S.L. is an air conditioning and heating company in Spain; similarly named Aizarna is a place in the Basque region of Spain)

Word derivation for "sister" :
Basque = ahizpa, Finnish = sisar
Miresua = aizar

My previous Miresua word for sister was ahisa.

The word sister appears in the first paragraph of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

2 comments:

Ikr Odr said...

The word Ahizpa in basque is sister as you say, but only if a girl is speaking. I mean, if I'm a boy I will say (nire arreba) (my sister) but if I'm a girl I will say (nire ahizpa) (my sister).

If I'm a boy -> my brother = anaia (brother)

If I'm a boy -> my sister= arreba (sister)

If I'm a girl -> my brother= neba (brother)

IF I'm a girl -> my sister= ahizpa (sister)

Yes, we basque are complicated!

Mariska said...

Thank you for mentioning this. I wasn't aware of the Basque usage. The grammar is interestingly complicated. I saw arreba for sister, as well as ahizpa, but I wrongly thought they were synonyms.