10 August 2014

valley is lakan (revisited)

lakan = valley (noun) (some things Google found for "lakan": an uncommon term; an unusual first name; an unusual last name; a high rank in pre-Hispanic Filipino nobility on the island of Luzon; Lakan Betoni Oy (which can be translated as Cover Concrete Ltd) is a Finnish company selling Lakka brand construction materials; Lakan's Prison is a dungeon in online game TERA: Rising; in Finnish lakan is a form of the noun lakka meaning varnish, lacquer; in Swedish lakan means bedsheet; name of places in Iran and Afghanistan)

Word derivation for "valley" :
Basque = haran, Finnish = laakso
Miresua = lakan

My previous Miresua conlang word for valley was sorana, which was an alphabetic scramble. I'm redoing this word. Nowadays I want my Miresua words to look like a mix of the Basque and Finnish words.

The word valley isn't in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but it occurs twice in Through the Looking-glass.
Alice didn't dare to argue the point, but went on: "--and I thought I'd try and find my way to the top of that hill--"

"When you say 'hill,'" the Queen interrupted, "I  could show you hills, in comparison with which you'd call that a valley."

No comments: