18 June 2015

wing is sigal (revisited)

sigal = wing (noun) (some things Google found for "sigal": a common term; SIGAL Construction Corporation of the Washington DC area; an unusual to uncommon last name; a unusual often feminine first name that can be Isreali; David Sigal Jewelry; SIGAL is an insurance company in Albania; in Armenian (transliterated) sigal means to strut, to walk in a proud manner; name of an ancient Sakastan city in present day southwest Afghanistan; name of a place in Cameroon)

Word derivation for "wing" :
Basque = hegal, Finnish = siipi
Miresua = sigal

My previous Miresua conlang word for wing was heipi, from earlier this year. Nothing wrong with the mix of that word, I just didn't like it. I have lots of words ending in I, so I'd rather end the word in L.

I found one occurrence of the plural word wings in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
...a sharp hiss made her draw back in a hurry: a large pigeon had flown into her face, and was beating her violently with its wings.

No comments: