22 June 2016

fifteen is vositima

vositima = fifteen (numeral) (Some things Google found for "vositima": a very rare term; similar Vestima is an investment fund service; similar Fostiima is a business school in Delhi, India; similar visitmina is a website for the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art in the UK)

Word derivation for "fifteen" :
Basque = hamabost (from ten + five)
Finnish = viisitoista (five + -teen)
Miresua = vositima (five + -teen)

Another new number word. This one is more Finnish than Basque, but I think not unreasonably so.

When I originally posted this, I wasn't sure if the word fifteen occurred in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or not. I didn't have a searchable text handy. Now I can happily say fifteen appears once in the book.
"...she came upon a low curtain she had not noticed before, and behind it was a little door about fifteen inches high: she tried the little golden key in the lock, and to her great delight it fitted!"

No comments: